Friday 18 May 2012

Review: Energy - The Awakening by M J Schutte






Title: Energy - The Awakening
Author: MJ Schutte
ASIN: B007BEDUV4 
Genre: Young Adult Adventure Fantasy
Source: Wanda's Amazing Amazon Reviewers on Facebook









As teenagers, Brighton and Lilian live quiet, peaceful and uncomplicated lives in a remote mountain village called Four Mountains. They soon discover that their friendship has developed into something deeper, but before they can explore their feelings for each other, a dark secret about Lilian’s past rips their world apart. Brighton finds himself fighting for the girl he loves as well as his own life while simultaneously discovering an even bigger secret about himself.
The two young lovers simply want to live in peace but they are constantly hunted because of their special talents.
Brighton has to overcome great odds and even death itself if he is going to save himself and Lilian from the evil determined to destroy them.

REVIEW

I have to admit that I really struggled to get into this book. The story didn't flow very well and there were moments when I wish a little more effort had been put into the editing process. Although the hiccups I noticed were very slight, they were enough to distract me from reading, and at one point I was ready to put the book down, never to pick it up again. I also felt that sections of dialogue were forced and there was that tiny annoyance of characters always refering to each other by name, even when there was no one else around...

Now I know it seems like I'm only harping on negatives, but I always strive to give my honest opinion!

I'm not saying I hated this book, it just started off as a bit of a bore. I really only got into the story a couple of chapters in, when Thomas comes to see Carmen and Brighton, and they discuss the latter's talents. I felt this was the turning point of the story and things only got better. I enjoyed the interaction between Lily and Bri. They felt like a real couple and even reminded me of a few of my married friends! Although Brighton didn't stand out as the typical drop-dead gorgeous hero, he certainly lived up to the part with his devotion and love for Lily. He was willing to die for her, literally, and he always had her best interests at heart.
Lily is a great character. She seemed a little flat at first but when she appeared later, she really had grown into a beautiful, more complex young lady.

The talent that each character has is very interesting. It was a wonderful, fresh idea and the fact that the Dark Ones are "magically" inclined but still vulnerable is a nice change because most of the time these types of characters are invincible!

Overall, this book grew into a fantastic fantasy adventure.

May I also just add that I am so happy with the cover change. The new cover for Energy just speaks so much more to what the book is about, and it has a more mystical appeal!

I give it...

Photobucket

Get your copy today!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...